Equipment fires often result from an electrical short within the circuitry or an overheated component. This often leads to the ignition of combustible materials within the equipment or surrounding components. Even when fire damage is extensive, some components retain tell-tale signs of having overheated because of the extreme temperatures involved. In addition, it may be possible to determine how that component overheated through laboratory testing, microscopic examination, and the analysis of burn patterns. An analysis of applicable codes and standards may also reveal deficiencies in the manner in which the equipment was manufactured, installed, or maintained.